Alternative energy and efficient use of energy are both demand drivers in the “green” revolution going on around the world, and Australian industry is taking advantage of the market opportunities in the American energy sector.
Two Australian companies that have already entered this market in the US are Zentric and Carbonxt.
Zentric Solves the American Energy Storage Problem
Zentric’s advanced battery technology helps solve the energy storage problem that limits many renewable energy sources. Zentric is building its US market entry on two solid foundations:
1. Incorporation of Zentric Inc in the US state of Nevada.
2. Strong relationships with solar panel manufacturers who are complementary partners for Zentric’s battery technology.
Carbonxt Makes “Clean” Products From Coal
Carbonxt Group Limited is an Australian company that develops clean coal technology for production of activated carbon.
Its US subsidiary is running a small technical facility in West Virginia that will expand to a full scale commercial plant producing 20 kilotons of activated carbon. Carbonxt Inc’s location in West Virginia connects it to the state’s large coal mining industry.
Lessons Learned from Australia’s Clean and Green Pioneers in America
Zentric and Carbonxt have capitalized on the following three factors.
1. Their US presence demonstrates a solid commitment to their customers. Getting close to your customers is key for providing the service they demand and for making it difficult for other competitors to establish relationships with your customers.
2. An American subsidiary enables Australian companies to take advantage of US government programs that foster the green industry.
3. Getting established now will enable Australian companies to take advantage of market growth in future years.
Example: Zentric has its US base in the state of Nevada which requires electric utility companies to produce 6% of their power by solar by 2016.
Example: Carbonxt’s presence in the US positions the company to satisfy the approaching mercury control requirements of the coal industry.
The rapidly evolving green industry does not yet have any clear leaders so there is a great opportunity for companies to gain market share. America ’s growing demand for energy therefore provides an opportunity for Australian companies that can produce, store and manage energy and emissions.